Each Varibill account can integrate with one accounting system of your choice. Varibill integrates with various accounting systems for the purpose of generating invoices. Varibill makes use of the specific accounting system's API in order to integrate with it.
Varibill will only integrate with accounting systems, and versions, that is still supported by the vendor of the accounting system. It remains the responsibility of the client to ensure the version of the accounting system is supported and that the relevant vendor fees have been paid in full.
Varibill posts invoices to your accounting system using the Varibill Accounting Connector. The Accounting Connector is middleware that calls the Varibill [API] and the accounting system API. The Accounting Connector is installed on an accessible server or PC from where it is run by an authorised user. When the Accounting Connector is run Varibill pushes unposted (Open) invoices to the accounting system. The accounting system then generates the invoices, updates inventory counts (if applicable), updates the General Ledger (GL) and Debtor Ledger. Once this invoice is processed in the accounting system, the accounting system returns the invoice numbers to Varibill.
Before you start:
- Ensure the relevant license has been purchased from the accounting system vendor which will allow third-party systems to integrate with the accounting system.
- Ensure the SDK of the relevant accounting system is installed on the server from which the Accounting Connector will be posting, where applicable.
- Ensure the regional settings as used by the accounting system is correctly set up on the server from which the Accounting Connector will be posting, where applicable. These settings will affect decimal rounding when posting invoices to the accounting system.
Installing the Accounting Connector
- The below window should open. Select 'Install'.
- The application should download.
- Confirm the Installation by selecting 'Install'.
- Select ‘Run Anyway’ when the below screen appears. This is to confirm that it is a trusted application.
The Accounting Connector should preferably be installed on one workstation or server. This is to ensure multiple individuals do not run the Accounting Connector simultaneously and produce duplicate invoices in your accounting system.
You can test it by opening the application from the desktop and logging in with your Varibill account username and password. BUT, ensure there are no OPEN invoices on your Varibill account when doing so, otherwise this will post these invoices to your books (If you are testing with a demo company this should not be a problem). Rather reverse all open invoices before testing. Failed invoices / closed invoices will not post again.
Should you receive the "Windows protected your PC" message, simply select the "More info" link, followed by "Run Anyway" to complete the installation of the Accounting Connector.
Configuring the Accounting Connector
The Accounting Connector must be configured to post invoices (from Varibill) to the correct accounting system, company and financial year.
This can be done by logging in to your Varibill account, navigating to Admin and then Accounting System. These configuration settings will automatically pull through to your Accounting Connector once logging in on the Accounting Connector.
Also ensure the APP URL on [Tenant Details] is accurate.
Should you make any configuration changes, you would need to log out of the Accounting Connector and log back in for the changes to reflect.
You can select whether you would like to display [rounding] differences on invoices and provide a description for the rounding difference line item.
Please Note: When the financial year has ended or a version upgrade has been done for the accounting system, the configuration of the Accounting Connector must also be updated, to ensure the invoices are posted correctly.
Using the Accounting Connector
- Accounting SystemBefore posting invoices and/or credit notes to your accounting system we advise that you confirm the accounting system details used. Select Accounting System to confirm this information. If the information is incorrect, select "Edit Online" to update the information in Varibill. You would need to log into Varibill to update this information. Once the information has been updated, return to the Accounting Connector, close the application and open it again. Once you have logged back in, confirm the information has updated under the Accounting System section.
- Post...Select this button to post invoices to the accounting system. A popup will open to allow you to select what you would like to post.
- Select the billing cycle
- Select Invoices and/or Credit Notes
- Select OK to start posting
- Let the accounting connector run until the "Posting completed" message appears.
- ResetShould the accounting connector crash or close while posting is in progress then the previous session may still be in progress, but not responding. Select this button to clear the current session. Thereafter select "Post..." again to continue posting invoices and / or credit notes.
- CopyThis allows you to copy the Messages displayed. This might come in handy when logging a fault with support.
- ClearThis clears the Messages but does not clear the current posting session.
View the Accounting Connector Log File
- Run the Varibill Accounting Connector
- Open the server / work station's Task Manager
- Find the Varibill Accounting Connector in the Apps list of the Task Manager (under the Processes tab)
- Right click 'Varibill Accounting Connector'
- Select 'Open File Location'
- Find the log file ('Log.txt')