What is a Product Master
A product master is a logical grouping of products to which multiple products can be allocated.
A contract will be set up per product master, allowing clients to be billed for any of the products allocated to this product master.
Product Master Attributes
The product master name is reflected on invoices generated.
This code forms part of the contract number.
Give this product master a friendly description so that your users can easily identify which type of products are allocated to it. This will not be displayed to your clients.
Product groupings associate products under a product master and/or product group with each other. What does this allow you to do? When it’s for display purposes only, all products associated by a group will be displayed under the group name on the invoice and a subtotal given for the group’s line items. This is handy for example you would like to group all ‘International calls’ together for VoIP. When it’s not for display purposes only, and associated products have been set up with a billing principle of maximum, average or delta, and multiple records’ parameters match up (client ID, Record ID and GUID) Varibill can safely assume usage fluctuations between products are due to up- and/or downgrades during a billing period. This is handy for example to accurately bill for up-or downgrades of mailboxes.
A Product Master must be set up to make use of product groupings. This can be done by selecting the Product Grouping option on the Product Master Form (Create / Edit).
The options available are:
- All products are associated in Product Master – This means that all products under the product master are by default associated and groupings don’t need to be defined. I.e. no name will be displayed on the invoice with a subtotal for the product group, but the as-is subtotal of the product master will be displayed.
- All products in Product Master are associated by groupings. Product group names need to be defined and all products under the product master must be linked to a product group.
- No products are associated in Product Master (This is the default). This is the current state of affairs for all products and no association assumed for any of these products.
- Some products are associated by groupings. Product group names need to be defined and some, but not all products under the product master can be linked to a product group.
Note: If a record moves between products within the same product master of this type, the usage will be prorated accordingly.
Once you have selected either ‘All products in Product Master are associated by groupings’ or ‘Some products are associated by groupings’ you would need to specify the grouping names and whether it’s for display purposes only.
A unique system generated code will be allocated to each product group.
Once you have created the product groupings for the product master, products allocated to the product master needs to be allocated to a product group by using the product form (create / edit).
Viewing Your Product Masters
The list of Product Masters displayed is a list of all the Product Masters created. Use the icons next to each record to edit or delete the record. Read [more] on the various buttons, icons and options available.
- Create Your Products (Products)